An Important Message from Ellen About Bullying
ACLU TO LGBT YOUTH: IT GETS BETTER
More Videos from the IT GETS BETTER project
*the information below is taken from the link above, itgetsbetterproject.*
*****WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?******
From Dan's column about Billy Lucas:
"Billy Lucas was just 15 when he hanged himself in a barn on his grandmother's property. He reportedly endured intense bullying at the hands of his classmates—classmates who called him a fag and told him to kill himself. His mother found his body.... I wish I could have talked to this kid for five minutes. I wish I could have told Billy that it gets better. I wish I could have told him that, however bad things were, however isolated and alone he was, it gets better.
"But gay adults aren't allowed to talk to these kids. Schools and churches don't bring us in to talk to teenagers who are being bullied. Many of these kids have homophobic parents who believe that they can prevent their gay children from growing up to be gay—or from ever coming out—by depriving them of information, resources, and positive role models.
"Why are we waiting for permission to talk to these kids? We have the ability to talk directly to them right now. We don't have to wait for permission to let them know that it gets better. We can reach these kids."
Read Dan's entire column here:
************ HOW TO SUBMIT***********
We want to hear YOUR STORY of How It Got Better! Create your video, post it to YouTube, and send the URL to mail (at) savagelove.net. We'll review it and post to our FAVORITES section.
(Note: You'll need your own YouTube account. Follow all the standard YouTube guidelines for setting up the account, and for loading the video. Once your video is loaded and processed, email us the YouTube URL.)
PLEASE: No two- or three- or four-part videos. And try to keep it under ten minutes, if at all possible!
You can read Dan's column and download his podcast at at http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=5007055
Bullying in high schools, gays, fear, and Toronto Maple Leaf's GM Brian Burke takes on bullying
A video about high school bullying that involves gays and bullying.
Brian Burke launches new anti-bullying website aimed at fighting homophobia
The Trevor Project
The Trevor Lifeline 866 4-U-TREVOR 866-488-7386
The website also has a Trevor Chat - Live chat with trained volunteers
*information below is from the website*
Often times, a suicidal person may indicate in some way that they plan to attempt suicide. Here are some warning signs you should know about. (NOTE: Refrain from using the phrase "commit(ed) suicide." Instead, use "completed suicide" or "died by suicide" when describing a fatal suicide attempt).
* Increased Isolation – From family and friends * Alcohol or Drug Use Increases
* Expression of negative attitude toward self
* Expression of hopelessness or helplessness
* Change in Regular Behavior
* Loss of interest in usual activities
* Giving away valued possessions
* Expression of a lack of future orientation (i.e. "It won't matter soon anyway")
* Expressing Suicidal Feelings
* Signs of Depression
* Describes a Specific Plan for Suicide
* History of Suicide in the Family
* A person who has been extremely depressed in the past may be at an increased risk for suicide if the depression begins to cease, as they may now have the psychological energy to follow through on a suicidal ideation.
If you or someone you care about displays any of these warning signs, please do not hesitate to call The Trevor Lifeline at: 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386) to speak with a trained volunteer counselor.
Dr. Phil - Bullying Is Not Ok
Dr. Phil addresses the alarming rise of teens taking their lives due to bullying. Parents, heed the call to action.
The Official Dr. Phil Show page on Youtube!
Dr. Phil Turning Point - The Official Blog of Dr. Phil
Follow Dr. Phil on Twitter: http://twitter.com/drphil
Dr. Phil McGraw has galvanized millions of people to "get real" about their own behavior and create more positive lives. Dr. Phil, his syndicated, daily one-hour series, is the second highest rated daytime talk show in the nation. The show has been making headlines and breaking records since its September 2002 launch, when it garnered the highest ratings of any new syndicated show since the launch of The Oprah Winfrey Show 16 years prior.
Lady Gaga rallies for 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal in Maine
A message from Lady Gaga to the Senate Sept 16 2010
Anti-Gay Rhetoric Causes Psychological Harm and Suicides - CNN iReport
A video that first shows Anti-Gay Rhetoric linked to hate and rejection followed by a video that shows IT GETS BETTER participants discuss how they felt and suicide.
 ANTI-GAY QUOTES from the video:
- Reparative Therapy based on the theory that gay people can be turned into heterosexuals through a combination of prayer and will power;
- The gay and lesbian lifestyle is personal bondage, personal despair, and personal enslavement;
- It's a sad life;
- It's part of Satan;
- Individuals who have gone into the lifestyle have been abused at one time in their life, either by a male or female;
- As if we need to understand that barbarians need to be educated. They need to be disciplined and just because someone feels it or thinks it doesn't mean that we are supposed to go down that road;
 IT GETS BETTER: thoughts of acceptance/rejection and suicide.
QUOTES OF ANTI-GAY RHETORIC and IT GETS BETTER thoughts of acceptance/rejection and suicide.
Anti-Gay Rhetoric Causes Psychological Harm and Suicides.
See the Discrimination playlists for more videos.